What is Ravello?
Ravello is a cloud service that enables enterprises to run their VMware and KVM workloads, with datacenter-like (L2) networking, ‘as-is’ on the public cloud without any modifications. With Ravello, enterprises don’t need to convert their VMs or change their networking configuration to run their existing apps on the public cloud.
What are the benefits of using Ravello to move on-premises applications to the public cloud?
- Since ESXi cannot run natively on most public clouds, enterprises have to go through a very painful re-platforming process if they wish to run their apps on the public cloud. Ravello’s ability to offer data-center-like environments on public clouds eliminates the hassle of VM conversion and migration.
- Ravello enables data-center-like networking (layer 2 networking constructs such as VLANs, multicast, and broadcast protocols), which is not natively available in the public cloud.
- Network & security appliances available in the cloud differ in features and capabilities compared to their data-center counterparts. With Ravello, enterprises can continue to run their existing data-center networking & security appliances such as load balancers and firewalls in the public cloud without compromising on supported features.
Which type of VMs can we move to Ravello?
Ravello supports moving VMware & KVMs VMs to cloud.
Which public clouds does Ravello support?
Ravello enables enterprises to deploy their VMware workloads on 29 regions globally across Oracle Cloud Infrastructure, Amazon Web Services (AWS), and Google Cloud Platform (GCP).
What are the key differences between Ravello on Oracle Cloud Infrastructure vs. Ravello on AWS/GCP?
Ravello’s hypervisor (HVX) uses nested virtualization to host apps in the public cloud. On AWS & GCP, nested virtualization is implemented in software using Binary Translation with Direct Execution.
On Oracle Cloud Infrastructure, HVX uses hardware assisted nested virtualization, and in addition, supports the ability to run directly on bare metal servers. This offers up to 14X performance boost compared to software based nested virtualization.
What are the benefits of Ravello on Oracle Cloud Infrastructure vs Ravello on AWS/GCP?
The benefits of Ravello on Oracle Cloud Infrastructure include:
- Vertical application scalability up to 32 vCPUs
- Significant performance benefits (up to 14x) due to hardware acceleration and the ability to run directly on bare metal servers
What are the use cases enabled by Ravello on Oracle Cloud Infrastructure ?
Ravello enables production and pre-production use-cases throughout enterprise application life-cycle – including POCs, development, test, IT Ops, security testing, running production environments, and training.
With hardware assisted nested virtualization capabilities enabled by Ravello on Oracle Cloud Infrastructure, enterprises are now able to ‘lift-&-shift’ their on-premises production applications, currently spread between virtualized and physical hosts, to Oracle Cloud Infrastructure without making any changes.
Can I run production workloads on Ravello on Oracle Cloud Infrastructure?
Ravello is currently available on the Oracle Cloud Infrastructure Phoenix region (US SouthWest1) and Oracle Cloud Infrastructure Ashburn region (US East5).
What is the largest VM that I can deploy on Ravello on Oracle Cloud Infrastructure?
The largest VM that can be deployed on Ravello on Oracle Cloud Infrastructure can have 32 vCPUs and 200 GB of memory.
What is the largest VM that I can deploy on Ravello on non-Oracle Cloud Infrastructure regions today?
The largest VM that can be deployed on Ravello on non-Oracle Cloud Infrastructure regions can have 8 vCPUs and 64 GB of memory.
Can I move an existing app running on a non Oracle Cloud Infrastructure region to an Oracle Cloud Infrastructure region?
Yes, you can. You can save your app as a Blueprint. Then create an application from the saved blueprint and publish it in an Oracle Cloud Infrastructure region.
Is there any price difference if I publish my app on an Oracle Cloud Infrastructure region or on a non-Oracle Cloud Infrastructure region?
Yes, apps on Ravello on Oracle Cloud Infrastructure are more cost effective than on Ravello on non-Oracle Cloud Infrastructure regions. Please check our
What are the economic benefits of running my VMware virtualized on-prem applications on Ravello on Oracle Cloud Infrastructure?
The economic benefits of running VMware virtualized on-prem applications on Ravello on Oracle Cloud Infrastructure are:
- No migration costs – With Ravello, customers don’t need to modify the application in any way to run it in the public cloud.
- CapEx savings – No need to purchase and provision new servers, storage, and network appliances.
- OpEx savings – No need to pay for power, cooling, real-estate, servicing, and human capital to manage a data-center.
- VMware license and support savings – With Ravello, customers don’t need VMware licenses to run VMware apps in the cloud.
- ‘Right-sized’ infrastructure savings – Customers can provision data-center like environments on a public cloud on-demand, eliminating spend on under-utilized resources.
What are the tradeoffs between Oracle Cloud Infrastructure and non-Oracle Cloud Infrastructure regions that I should be aware of?
Non-Oracle Cloud Infrastructure Regions
Oracle Cloud Infrastructure Regions
|Up to 16 vCPUs and 64 GB memory
||Up to 32 vCPUs and 200 GB memory
||Up to 14X
My application is spread between physical and virtualized hosts; can I still move my application to Oracle Cloud Infrastructure?
Yes, you can move applications that are spread between physical and virtual hosts to Oracle Cloud Infrastructure. You can move all the components running on virtualized hosts onto Ravello, and you can move those residing on physical hosts to directly run on Oracle Cloud Infrastructure’s bare metal cloud service with minimal changes.
Which versions of VMware VMs are supported on Ravello on Oracle Cloud Infrastructure?
One can run VMware VMs running on ESXi 5.0 or higher on Ravello on Oracle Cloud Infrastructure.
Are there any migration tools needed to move my VMware virtualized Oracle apps to Ravello on Oracle Cloud Infrastructure?
With Ravello, no VM conversions or migration tools are needed to move apps to Ravello. They can be moved as is. Refer to the following whitepapers to move VMware virtualized
and EBS to Oracle Cloud Infrastructure using Ravello.